Saturday, April 28, 2007

making pesto

My Japanese host family (father and daughter - mum is back home taking care of the bakeries) is coming over for dinner on Tuesday evening. My host sister Ayumi is vegetarian, so I'm making an Italian vegetarian dinner party. I've taken the recipes from this months Delicious. magazine, which has it's annual Italian special.

First up, homemade pesto, to make into a delicious looking pesto lasagne.

Pesto Sauce


200g of basil leaves


200g toasted pinenuts


3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped


200ml fruity extra virgin olive oil, and a big pinch of sea salt or like I've used, lake salt.


Pop it all into a blender and mix together until lovely and creamy. Like the photo below.


Ready to serve as is over pasta or in a salad.

I'll be adding 100g grated pecorino (or parmasan) and 250g fresh ricotta and layering it between fresh lasagne sheets to make into the pesto lasagne. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes in a moderate oven until browned. I'll post a photo when it's done.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Peta said...

That looks yummo! Thanks for your kind emails Sally, I really appreciated it :) Hope to see you in the next swap too!

11:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made pesto today and on Sunday. i can't get enough of it. My Italian mother-in-law gave me some fresh basil. I didn't have any pinenuts in the house but I did have a big bag of pistachio nuts. Well worth the change..a bit more mellow..it is just having to peel them that is the pain. And I used the same olive oil as in your pic! Enjoy your dinner and guests.

9:57 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I love pesto yet I've never made it. I do make Tuscan chicken with pine nuts but I doubt that counts. I think I'll give this a try thanks. :)

4:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home