Sunday, January 28, 2007

Op shopping in Newcastle


Yesterday morning I took along gram and [dragged] mum op shopping with me. First stop - was the best. We almost could've stopped there. It was my old haunt - Belmont St Vinnies. One of the few op shops still around that hasn't heard of inflation, or making some decent money from selling someone elses junk. Lucky for me! The top photo is my new smock (50c). I have another similar one I wear when washing the boys. I might wear it a lot more now. I think it's tres cute.

The single sheet set is a little disappointing. Got it at stop 2. The top pillow case is fine, but the next pillow case and sheet are awfully discoloured and stained. eiugh. I've been napisanning them overnight to see if they improve.

I'm thinking of turning this napking into a needle holder (or 2). (25c)

The quality of linen on this New Zealand tablecloth is just so beautiful. I have a teatowel (from Gram) also from NZ that is similar quality. Not stiff like our linen (and I'm not talking starch). It's a different kind of weave. ($3)

This wallet is my best find. Initially I was going to be charged 50c, but she forgot to run it and the napkin above through the till, so she gave them both to me for 50c. We saw heaps of these wallets throughout the day, ranging from $10 to $16 I think. The diary is sweet, it's blank, so I can't work out what year it was from. It was 50c too.

I liked this idea someone had - turning a linen tea towel into an apron. YAY! Someone else who cut up a tea towel to make something else. (I'm referring to my plan to make a tea towel quilted tablecloth this year). I should post photos of all my tea towels. I have over 20 now.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE looking at op shop finds. The smock is adorable! And I think the napkin is my fave thing, tres cute and I agree it would look fabulous as a needle book.

Good job!

1:19 pm  
Blogger megan said...

i'm no expert but the diary looks like one i had when i was little... i would say 70's? and i am jelous of your new wallet. i love vintage handbags + purses :D

1:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The op-shops in Newcastle are incredible. Love your finds. I cut up old teatowels too. Some of the motifs are so wonderful. I'm so happy to have found your blog.

7:14 am  
Blogger floresita said...

Oh - I love all your thrifted stuff!!! That one year diary is so sweet - reminds me of my (80's) childhood... :) And that wallet! I have a purse just like it.

10:52 am  
Blogger floresita said...

I just noticed the orange flowered sheets - I had sheets exactly like those as a child! :)

10:55 am  
Blogger Lauren Bamford said...

hey - tea towels are my new obsession too - you should see some of my finds! march...

3:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home