Saturday, September 09, 2006

Flat Fairies

So I've got these 4 flat fairies that I embroidered years and years ago. I started them in the US when I was living there with Paul, so I guess that makes it 96? Anyway, I never really knew what I was going to do with them, and now I still don't know what I want to do with them. I'd really appreciate some creative ideas from all the creative crafters out there....

This one is the first one I made and also a favourite. I was really able to add everything in to her as there were no others to compare her to. I was experimenting with new stitches to see how they looked, etc.



This one is my next favourite. I love French knot stitch. The way you can tone shades and create such a rich dense colour. Just like my favourite paint is guache...thick even colour. It took a lot of time, but I was inspired by some landscape garden type embroidery that I'd seen somewhere. The whole picture was french knots and showed a view of an english country garden. So much work! My flat fairy is nothing in comparison.



This one I tried to come up with a new hair style. It's OK. Nothing could beat the hair of my first fairy though. Maybe I should have succumbed to the inevitable and done all their hair the same. It's how I always draw my flat fairies after all...



This is the last flat fairy I made. Again, I began searching for some new way of creating her hair (you can see the similarity to flat fairy number 1) and decided I needed to try more of the beading look. She's a bit skinny. Or there's not enough
body in her skirt or maybe it's just there's not enough variety of colour in her dress. Anyway. She's the least favourite. Poor thing. It's not her fault she's not as cool as the other girls...



So, that's them! I was thinking of putting them as blocks into a quilt. Or using them as panels on little cushions that might feature on a bed. Or little pillow/cushions with a hook and filled with lavendar or something to hang on a wall in the bedroom to smell nice. This idea at Wee Wonderfuls was another thought. Making them into little weird flat stuffed fairies. There's something cute about that idea, no?

1 Comments:

Blogger maggiegracecreates said...

How fun are these? I love them all. I can't do a french know for my life though.

Have a beautiful day.

10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home